Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Kathy Mae's Chickens

 This is Kathy Mae, raised on Pond Hole, "down the road" from where I grew
Handicapped helen, Lacks vision and has a Deformed Beak.

up on Turkey Knoll. Kathy is now in Georgia ( note the sunshine and bare arms). She posted these pics and  text exactly the day that Marty and I were shoveling out our 120 foot driveway,  after the fourth major storm in three weeks. Marty has four wheel drive, but my car had been iced in for a week.
Our driveway after we hand cleared it . . .A job well done.
       As Kathy wrote: "We went to the chicken show in Newnan, GA, and got two chickens from a local farmer. Helen was free!"  I noticed Marty out front, shoveling like a banshee. This was curious, as he had acquired a snowblower in September. All winter, he had proudly strutted behind it, humming as he filled the engine, smiling as it did all the work, no, near glowing, as it did all the work!



    When I learned that the snowblower was broken, I suggested a very creative snow removal scheme: We could start a giant snowball at the top and roll it down the driveway, then, as it became huge and heavy, push it to the side. . . Surprisingly, my scheme met little enthusiasm. I insisted that we experiment. Alas, the snow was just a tad too dry, so we gamely rotated the single shovel for the remainder of the driveway. . . Since Marty had already put in 75 % of the effort, the final clearing took just a few minutes, after which we collected a bumper crop of maple sap!
 

         Kathy Mae's Post: "Handicapped Helen: Lacks Vision and Has a Deformed Beak"!
         To which I respond: OH, Kathy!.I'm glad that you are running SUCH a PC Palais de Poulet, don't be surprised if SHE has more vision than you know, Karma Kathy!!! FYI, Helen told me she thinks you are underestimating her AND she knows that she is Billy's favorite, due to her superior egg production abilities. She defies YOU to lay eggs for the frying pan, Missy!
          Kathy Mae's post: "We have to show her where the food and water are, but actually, we think she has some vision, as she does SOME looking with one eye!!!    
       

Bankhead Betty, A Barred Roc

 Kathy Mae   "Bankhead Betty ~ A Barred Rock. We think she layed our first egg!" 


 I respond: " It was Helen. Helen told me it's her egg.......so don't be so excited about Betty, Tallulah!!"
The source of Kathy Mae's first egg is disputed!

  My earliest love of farming came from my mother, a biologist city girl, and we were both taught much of what we know, by Kathy Mae's family..... Patty Jo, the youngest of five children, spent summers with her immigrant grandparents on Turkey Knoll. She frequently walked "down the road" to play with Kathy Mae's mom, Chloe, and Chloe's younger siblings. The Richards were the farmers: My childhood was spent finding fresh eggs from the chicken coop, watching ponds and stone wall being built and gardens tended, food "put up" and being entertained by donkeys, goats and other assorted livestock. There was a memorable pig slaughter, as well, when I was four or five.   

LOVE YA, Kathy Mae!!

1 comment: