Saturday, March 12, 2011

Alice Wicks, Marge Wakefield, Josie Porter, Nancy Shukaitis and Janet Richards

are the names of five legendary Monroe County farmers. They are inspired, incredible women who shaped much of the rural heritage of the county during the latter part of the 20th century, and birthed the last of the baby boom.

Info on Alice Wicks

Alice Wicks' real name was "Gran". She made me warm eggs on a cold October morning in the 1970's,  on a cast iron stove at the West End Fairgrounds. She taught me a lot about life and she made me feel loved. She was a woman of vision, innovation, and yankee ingenuity. A great historian, a hard worker, and a noble female figure who embodies the American Farm Spirit.

Marge Wakefield was, first and foremost, a mom. She drove a VW bus and was surrounded by love, and boisterous activity. What I can think most about Marge was that she was an Enduring Spirit. Her husband Wes called the square dances at Quiet Valley, in the Engel Barn.

Josie Porter: I am sorry to say that I only met Josie Porter post-humously. I am good friends with her daughter Abigail, and helped at the Porter Farm after her mother's death. I met Abby's friend, Jim Silverthorne. I learned more about Rudolf Steiner, the Waldorf movement, and the school of Anthoposophy. I also had the privelege to live with many of Josie's possessions, including linen pillowcases, a beautiful swan barometer, and her beloved and much used loveseat.

Nancy Shukaitis is a beloved friend and childhood role model. She is an amazing inspiration to so many of us.

Janet Richards is the farm woman who I knew most intimately and saw most regularly. She was Gran.
I had a number of incredible women in my life in my early years: Grandmom Griffin, Grandma L, Gran Richards, and "Gram" Alice Wicks................Thank you ladies. You are with me everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment